Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Monday 25 February 2019

Risking my Ribcage

 
According to Neil Gaiman, Helen Marshall can "pry her way inside her readers' ribcages" – a slightly alarming prospect, but I still want to hear her read at 6 on Tuesday 26th February.(Neil, you did mean that metaphorically, didn't you ...?)

I’m excited to think I'll experience a new world of darkness within fantasy. Fantasy isn't always child-friendly. Beneath the surface prettiness of mermaids lies a tale of sailor-snatching beauties. When you think of that, The Little Mermaid becomes a very different story - and one I personally wouldn’t read to my kids.

Luckily, Marshall doesn’t write for kids. Her short stories and poetry collections offer a different perspective, intertwining mythology and the modern-day world to achieve something more unnerving and cruel.

I’m sure I will have a wonderful time, so long as I walk away with my ribs intact.
 
You can book here - and risk your ribcage.


Jade Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment