Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 1 March 2019

Postgrad pleasures

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting some PhD and MA students of creative writing and listening to some of their work.

What never ceases to amaze me is the many paths that creative writing can take you down. Despite studying together, each writer had a different style and purpose in writing.

Dave, for example, chose to write a humorous, graphic piece called 'Head Case', which while amusing to listen to, also gave depth to its core character.

Another student, Sabrina Smith, read some of her pieces from an external project which involves helping dementia patients by having them translate their memories into poems. One that I particularly enjoyed was one called 'Living Like Gypsies'. Very emotional and pleasant to listen to.

One of my lecturers, Zeandrick Oliver, read some of his work on his own memories of his migration to the UK. My favourite piece by him, and out of the all the readings was 'Street View'. It portrayed the memory beautifully.

Alicja Walendziak, also an MA student, read some pieces about some of her personal experiences as a Polish migrant and a few pieces about mental health. Out of all of them, my favourite was 'OCD's hand', because of how brave she was to write about something so personal and do it so well.

I enjoyed all the readings. The event has inspired me to try writing in different genres and styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment