Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 1 March 2019

An unprecedented hope



Munroe Bergdorf is 31-year-old activist and model who has inspired many to love themselves and fight for their rights. In a world of oppression, privilege and power, she is the contrast we all need

Seeing someone like Munroe, who I’ve idolised for so long, sitting in front of me talking about her hopes for the future of the world gave me an unprecedented feeling of hope. I don’t feel hope very often and in truth I am very cynical, but there is something fundamentally soothing about hearing Munroe talk about herself. It rubs off on you and makes you think that maybe, just maybe you also can make a change. Munroe didn’t romanticise herself, her cause, or her struggles as a transgender black woman but she was authentic and kind.

Munroe being unapologetic about her identity is a breath of fresh air, during the talk she discussed the micro aggression of having to explain and discuss her identity and oppression. She talked about the notion of not having to actually partake in discussions with people who belittle your experiences.

As a black woman I related to what she was saying. In the past I’ve had people roll their eyes at me and minimise my experiences. It’s a micro-aggression and I sometimes forget how it actually affects me. It makes me feel like my opinion doesn’t matter, like I can’t be vocal about things that matter to me and it ever so subtly leaves me questioning my position in society.

Her advice to value yourself enough not to justify your importance and rights really stuck with me. Munroe Bergdorf was such a powerful presence, whose message of self-acceptance and self-love really stuck with me.


Aiesha

No comments:

Post a Comment