Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 24 February 2012

Getting me some culture, innit?

When I tell people I'm going to the Cultural eXchanges festival, those unacquainted with it often respond with a bemused look and a comment like, "Cultural what? What liiiiiiike... art and s**t?"

Well. Sort of. When I explain that actually, it's a whole week of dance, literature, poetry, films, with appearances from celebrities like Jamal Edwards, Murray Melvin, Gwyneth Lewis and Hustle's Adrian Lester for little or no money, people's expressions change.

Being a newcomer myself, I'm excited for next week. I've never been to a festival quite like this one, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when lots of creative types are thrown into one place at one time.

In a world where students are constantly told it's near impossible to get a job in media, art, writing, and so on, it will be interesting to see a group of successful people in these fields who have got these jobs, and to figure out how they did it.

To book for the events running Monday 27th Feb - Friday 4th March click here.


Natalie Beech

No comments:

Post a Comment