Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Tuesday 27 February 2018

Getting poetry - with Kei Miller

Poetry? Not for me. Which begs the question - why was I watching a poet on youtube at 2am?

The rich and varied works of Jamaican-born Kei Miller have changed my views on contemporary poetry beyond imagination. Anchored firmly in the Caribbean, but with forays around the world, A Light Song of Light (2010 Carcanet Press) took me on an emotional journey, from daytime to night, through light and darkness, from elation to heart-rending despair. 
 
Miller's disrupted syntax, his mellifluous cadence and startling subjects are best appreciated through performance and, for the first time in my life, I 'get' it. From one poem to the next, to the next, to the next, I simply couldn't stop watching.



With the passion of any new convert I can't shut up about my new-found love and I'll be the first in line when Miller speaks at 6pm on Wednesday, 28th February during the DMU Cultural Exchanges 2018 event.
 
Cultural Exchanges runs from 26th February - 2nd March 2018

Helen Abbot

No comments:

Post a Comment