Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Sunday 28 February 2016

People are people


photo by: Mstyslav Chernov: women and children among Syrian refugees
at Budapest Keleti railway station, 4 September 2015 (wikimedia commons)
 

At a time when the refugee crisis is at an all time high, it is important to be aware of just how often fellow human beings have been forced to choose between leaving their dangerous homes or facing the treacherous seas on the journey to a new homeland. 

After reading last night that new refugees arriving in the country are being forced to wear red wrist bands at all times (bearing a striking resemblance to something that happened during the 1940s, perhaps?), I knew that I needed to improve my understanding of what is truly going on. These are human beings above all else, and should not be treated any differently to the rest of us. 

With so much tension in the country, I couldn't forego the chance to listen to four De Montfort historians sharing their research with the public.

Having already primed myself with facts on the Labour party, the cost of a warhead and the teachings of Islam to argue with my Conservative father, I can't wait to pick up more fuel for thought to fire off when I return home the next day for my birthday. 

There are still a few seats available, and you are welcome to come along to De Montfort University's Clephan Building (Room 0.01) at 5pm on Tuesday 1st March to allow yourself to be further educated on this issue.


Georgia Chenery

No comments:

Post a Comment