Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 28 February 2019

Stepping into 'Weird Fiction'

Yesterday, during Helen Marshall's reading, I stepped into the world of 'weird fiction' and was instantly captivated.

Being a fan of darker literature myself, I was curious to see how Helen approached the writing process and see if I could pick up new writing techniques. She went on to speak about the relationship between memories and her writing.

"Memories are something that we've lived through, something that we've buried in the back of our mind. Mine have often found their way into both my poetry and stories."

While writing using memory is something I've done before, the way memories and pieces of mythology were woven
into her work was mind-blowing to listen to during her reading of 'The Hanging Game' and an extract from The Migration.

She also spoke about her fascination with weird fiction.

"Weird fiction exists in the gaps of science-fiction, horror, and fantasy and is often experimental. Reading it, to me, feels like you've just got into an elevator, then it drops and your stomach lurches. It's this darker side of fiction that I find interesting."

Hearing the feeling she gets out of writing and reading weird fiction has been inspiring to me and I cannot wait to take what I have learned from her and apply it to my own work now and in the future. 


Leah Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment