Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 3 March 2011

Something to look forward to

The Demon Crew Creative Writing Launch was probably one of the most inspirational events that I have attended. Twenty-three students read from their work or discussed the process of writing in just two hours.

The themes varied from dating tips to loss. Some pieces made the audience laugh and one almost brought me to tears.

It surprised me how much I could relate to some of the things that had been written. I had thought that there would be a huge difference in themes and issues between first year and third year students, but I recognised many of the topics that were discussed.

One writer spoke about the difference in accents and displayed it on T-shirts. I found myself nodding in agreement to the things she said about having an accent that is different to the majority.

One piece that really stood out for me was the collection of poems written on post-it-notes. I had never thought of doing poetry in that way; it is definitely something that I would like to try out.

We were shown so many different ways of writing and presenting work - so many ideas for our own future experiments.


Leonni Secondino

No comments:

Post a Comment