Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 23 February 2018

Don't forget the fringes

Headline Acts:
- Jazzie B!
I do like Soul II Soul.
- Gary Younge!
Hmm, interesting journalism.
- Josette Simon!
Oh BOY, some SHAKESPEARE.

I booked all three.
But in my excitement, I'd neglected to consider the fringe events: the ones I knew little about. I looked further, and found:

CLAIRE FOX (FESTIVAL FRINGE EVENT) FREE SPEECH ON CAMPUS?

This question seemed to be addressed to me personally.


The event offers a discussion between Dr Greg Scorzo and Claire Fox, Director of the Institute of Ideas, on the rise of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Booked.

Most appealing about this event is its potential for discussion. I'm sure there will be many audience members armed and ready to debate. But that's great! This is one of those topics that requires people to share opinions and experiences. How else can we educate each other?

As someone who's currently undecided on the subject, I look forward to finding out more and forming an opinion. I chose this event for its potential to make me think, and I believe all of us, at DMU and elsewhere, should consider that when booking.

So don't just book what you know you will enjoy. Book something that might challenge you!

Learn more about Cultural Exchanges. Click here



Araminta Jürgen-Romrig

No comments:

Post a Comment