Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Saturday 6 March 2010

Childhood hero, adult inspiration


When I was a child, my Dad sat my brother and me down and said: "You've got to watch this film, it'll change your life."

The film was Kes, and it changed my perception of the world. I knew then that the world wasn't just slow-motion romantic strolls and Transformers.

I have a strange built-in shyness around hero figures of mine. When Ken Loach entered the room, I wanted to drag him away and ask him millions of questions I knew nobody would want to ask him but me. Everybody has a different perception of the films Loach makes - that's why they are so brilliant.

Loach talked about his early years in television - a time that makes me insanely jealous. Can you imagine the BBC making those films now? The men in the suits would have heart attacks.

Politics are important to Loach, and play an important part in all his work. Some say his work is downbeat and miserable, but others - like me - believe that his work is full of hope and truth. You never feel cheated.

At 74 years of age, Ken Loach looks fit and strong and he talks with passion and gusto. I could have listened to him all night. If I become successful in my chosen medium, I may be able to battle that hero-worshipping shyness and do just that.


Daley James Francis


image sourced through wikimedia commons



No comments:

Post a Comment