Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 5 March 2010

Happy 10th Birthday, Salt ... I hope


I wasn’t sure what to expect when I turned up for the Salt 10th Anniversary Talk by Chris Hamilton-Emery. I thought he might talk about how wonderful his company is and why I should try to get published by them.

It was actually a heart-warming speech about all of the troubles his publishing house has gone through since its beginning. Chris Hamilton-Emery was a very emotive speaker and I felt quite honoured that he was being so truthful with us about how hard the profession is.

He drew on his valuable experience to point out both the good and bad points of the industry, such as the Internet taking over book distribution to the point where publishers are on the verge of extinction. That definitely made me think about where these careers are heading. It's definitely very worrying for a bookshop wanderer like myself.

I feel truly touched by the story of his struggles and I may just have to go buy a book to keep him afloat…


Rachel Robson

No comments:

Post a Comment