Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Tuesday 7 March 2017

And out comes ... a recorder?

When booking the Mobilise! event, I had no idea what it would entail. Me being me, a seemingly logical person, I assumed from the title that it would revolve around technology and physical theatre. However, it was not until 7 o’clock on a Tuesday evening when I was sitting in a performance space that I realised what I was witnessing (or hearing, rather): sound.

It was during the second act that I realised I was in awe of the talent being shown. The performance centred around the noise and music of a Nintendo game; the sounds were recorded and manipulated in a way that created a layered track, each noise being presented in a way that still allowed it to be heard. Then, one of the two performers brandished a recorder, seemingly out of nowhere (seriously, it was quite the surprise when the plastic instrument was played.) Oddly enough, this slightly bizarre moment was when I became utterly engaged.

While I admit I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I was pleasantly surprised by the ingenuity of the performances, as the specific manipulation of sounds was something I had never encountered before.

To learn more about the Moblise! event, click here.



Aimee Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment