Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Monday 7 March 2016

Fire escapes and a haunted honeymoon

So, I went to Niki and Rod’s two-hour session on Tuesday because of the title, "So you want to write a novel." Yes, I want to write a novel and so, I imagine, did everyone else in the room.

 Simon Perril introduced the session and he had to point out the fire exits; one was out of a window and onto a walkway so Simon added, helpfully, “obviously not out of the other windows, otherwise you’d fall,” much to the amusement of the audience.

Niki Valentine and Rod Duncan were talking about their experiences as writers and how they came to be published. Rod talked about his new book, The Custodian of Marvels, published by Nottingham-based Angry Robot. The sesion gave me a good insight into traditional publishing as well as the inspirations for their books. I couldn’t believe that the inspiration for Niki’s book, The Haunted, was her honeymoon!

There were a lot of good questions asked by us, the audience and it was a genuinely insightful event, so if you do want to write a novel, and you didn’t show up, you missed a great event. I shall now attempt to write a novel, and see if I can…

Lauren Raybould

No comments:

Post a Comment