Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Wednesday 9 March 2016

A guy like Baddiel

I could see myself becoming friends with someone like David Baddiel. He has the kind of personality that means, no matter what kind of mood you are in, he will be persistent in making sure that, in the end, you have a smile on your face.

I dragged my sister along to this talk. She was visiting me for the weekend and, to be frank, there is no way I'd leave her behind in my flat! And, what better way do I have of showing off my university?

The talk was absolutely hilarious. I guess this was to be expected given that David is a stand-up comedian, but it wasn't just David that made the event work - it was also the audience members who, instead of asking questions about his career, preferred to ask questions to do with football. 
 
"Do you think Leicester will win the league?" As the first football question this was understandable, and made the audience laugh, but more than ten minutes later when the audience were still asking football related questions, to a man who came to talk about his career, it began to get a bit repetitive, though in a highly comedic way.

Walking out of the event, I listened as my sister rattled on about how if David Baddiel ever doing a stand-up event near her, then she'd be sure to go along. And for me, that's all the praise a man like David Baddiel could wish for a high honour.
 

Faith Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment