Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Wednesday 9 March 2016

No disappointment with Willy

When I found out that Willy Russell was coming to talk, I jumped at the chance to meet him.. 
I left my flat in good spirits even though the dark sky threatened another bout of rain. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I couldn’t help but remember the stories friends had told me of how, when they finally met someone they looked up to while growing up, they had been disappointed. 
But I can tell you, I wasn't disappointed in Willy Russell. It was amazing to meet him and to hear talk enthusiastically about his life and career - and this included the stories behind some of his plays. He also read from Shirley Valentine, and told us how one night, when the actress playing Shirley couldn’t perform, he took the role instead.
And after the talk Willy Russell kindly signed my copy of Blood Brothers.


Kathryn Adderley

No comments:

Post a Comment