Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Woman with bombs

'Why should a woman not use the same weapons as men. It is not only war we have declared. We are fighting a revolution.' (Kitty Marion)

I was already tired when I walked to Fern Riddell's talk and was worried that I'd fall asleep in the warmth. Luckily, that didn't happen. Instead, for the entire time I was completely intrigued by what was being said. I’ve always been interested in the suffragettes and women’s rights. Hearing Riddell discuss it in such a passionate way kept me listening and wide awake.
  I'd never heard of Kitty Marion before but she played a huge part in the Women’s Social and Political Union in the UK and led a fascinating life. After her cmapaigns with the suffragettes she became involved in another important campaign for women's rights - the campaign for birth control in the United States.
Fern Riddell's passion for this topic, and the way she spoke about it and answered questions from the audience was what kept my attention throughout and I look forward to the plublication of her book, Death in ten minutes (due in April) so that I can learn more about Kitty Marion and her appealing life story.
 

L A Parkins

No comments:

Post a Comment