Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 24 February 2012

Fresh Poetry

A long wordy poem printed on a thin yellow page of a huge anthology can really turn you off. My Dad got me interested in poetry as he would read me stuff from Spike Milligan and Roger McGough. As a child I liked poets like Michael Rosen and Benjamin Zephaniah. They were exciting and their poems were fun to read aloud. Last year, I attended my first poetry reading at Word! at the Y theatre in Leicester, where I saw performance poet Dominic Berry. There is nothing like it.

So I say, enjoy poetry the way it should be - read aloud! Listen to the sound of the letters and the words as the poet speaks them; feel the rhythm; hear the tone of voice.

A week of performance poetry is here at DMU to be embraced, at the Cultural eXchanges Festival.

Tuesday lunchtime is devoted to DMU Creative Writing students (like me!); listen to readings of poetry, short fiction and much more from up and coming writers.

Wednesday PM: DMU welcomes Gwyneth Lewis, the first Welsh Poet Laureate whose award for her writing on Mental Health was what attracted me.

Thursday PM: readings from poets Geraldine Monk and Alan Halsey.

Friday PM: Crystal Clear Creators.


Booking for these and other events HERE.


Sally Parkin

No comments:

Post a Comment