Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 22 February 2013

Anticipating Alan Garner

Like many, I was intrigued by the phrase "rare public appearance" in the information about Alan Garner, despite being previously unaware of his work.

I've never been a fan of fantasy novels but, after booking, I promptly purchased two of his books: The Owl Service and Red Shift. When they arrived, going against all I've been told, I chose to read the book with the most intriguing cover first: The Owl Service. Since the genre does not usually appeal to me I paid particular attention to the style of language, the techniques used and the effects these create. I have, however, been surprised at how absorbing the story is. Garner writes with incredibly strong imagery; the characters are deep and unclichéd and the plot is full of mystery. I'm now excited and curious to hear what the man behind this involving, well-written story line has to say. 

While the book has been very enjoyable, I haven't been converted to a fully-fledged fantasy fan just yet. Perhaps Red Shift will change my mind later this evening.  
 
 
Hannah Maggs

No comments:

Post a Comment