Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 22 February 2013

Slimy stomachs, gruesome battles - and Manda Scott


I have a confession. Recently I've developed a slight obsession with the first century, specifically first century Britain and Celtic tribes and the Romans. So imagine my joy when I discovered Manda Scott, author of Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth, would be at Cultural Exchanges.

I've written for as long as I can remember, but always fantasy and always involving vampires and elves and princesses. I've never attempted a historical novel; the amount of research needed is daunting and terrifying and makes my stomach feel all slimy!

What better opportunity than to speak with a historical novel writer about her books before diving head first into my new obsession?

I am definitely looking forward to reading Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth and meeting the woman herself. Hopefully her historical-novel-writing wisdom will sink in and settle the stomach, and inspire me to widen the genre of my writing.

After all, what can be better on Britain's plains than a bloody and gruesome battle between painted Celts and armoured Romans?

 

Jennifer Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment