Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 28 February 2013

Meeting an idol

I've loved dance for as long as I can remember. I've studied it academically for the past four years, pre-university, and I'm sometimes sad that I've traded in one art for another.

When I first started studying dance, Siobhan Davies was introduced to me, and she was completely away from the disciplines that had made me wary of dance in the first place.

When I first entered the room and saw her, I was starstruck, which is hard to understand if you're not a lover of choreography. Professor Ramsay Burt was conducting the conversation, and it was clear from his smile that I wasn't the only one who was excited. Siobhan has been awarded a CBE  ("I didn't wear a hat!" she adds) for her innovative choreography, contribution to the dance field, and also her constant moving forward, and pushing the art form.

She's funny and kind, openly honest about her past. Feeling very nostalgic as she opens up about her move into a world with no contemporary dance, just discipline in the UK. She talks about why she was so open to new techniques - "I was a blank canvas, I really felt what it meant to move. I was hungry to absorb the information."

She talks about raising a family and still keeping her thriving career at the top. She mentions her year's sabbatical in America, inspiration (although she hates that word) and the meaning of the word imagery in dance.

Something which caught my attention was her mention of "If artists can truly create conditions where neither can deviate, then unorthodoxy between knowledges could be thrilling." I can apply this to my writing, by working with new people and creating something different.

She was a true pleasure to listen to, and I hope that one day I can return to the same art form.
 
Abigail Barter

No comments:

Post a Comment