Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Tuesday 2 March 2010

"More British than the British"


"Writer, curator and installation artist" Michael McMillan took as his focus was the front room in the houses of West Indian immigrants. This was the room which was used to greet guests. It presented the aspirations of its occupants to the rest of the world.


The room was kitsch, over the top, and garish. Despite this, almost every object had great significance. Michael McMillan had collected items that would now be considered antiques and they gave those who have never experienced a room like this a feel of what it was like. At a glance all those who were present could see this part of a West Indian home.

The room was exactly like the one my grandparents had. As second generation immigrants, my parents would have been banished from this room. It might even have been locked and must have become the focus of fascination - even obsession.

This was a history I hadn’t ever heard. It explained many things that had seemed strange to me. My grandparents' ornaments are now more valuable in my mind. My relatives came with nothing and were able to acquire all this in their lifetime.

Kimberly Redway

No comments:

Post a Comment