Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 5 March 2010

Well done, class of 2010!

After the initial embarrassment of walking into the wrong lecture theatre, I managed to fine the right room for the Student Publication Launch. Most of the final year Creative Writing students lookws more nervous than I need to say.

I wasn't looking forward to it. Two hours seemed far too long to sit down and listen to other people talk about their work. Little did I know what a treat was in store for me.

After a short introduction from Jonathan Taylor the first group took to the podium. No doubt their stomachs dropped as they faced the audience of around 60. But what a marvellous job they did. Jordan Bacon, Tom Haymes and Rob Cotterell started the launch with a bang and soon got the audience in fits of giggles as they interpreted the language of the north for the benefit of southerners.

Highlights of the second half included T-shirts for dogs to raise money for charity. Good thinking Alexia Polemidioti, but I have to agree with Jonathan Taylor that there should be a range for cats too. There was also ia rather raunchy, graphic but humorous poem from Simone Byer and a website from Lauren O’Brien, who combined fashion and writing with fascinating results.


I’m left with a heavy feeling in my stomach from the realisation that at this point in two years I’ll be standing up there - most definitely quivering like a leaf and crying for my Mother. It was an outstanding event and I can’t deny that all deserve recognition for their hard work over the past three years.

Well done, class of 2010!


Natalia Chrystalla Boileau


No comments:

Post a Comment