Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 22 February 2013

After the laughs

This weekend Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival comes to an end and Cultural Exchanges week begins. Cultural Exchanges will be great and I urge anyone and everyone to go.

However, I'm sceptical that this week of events can possibly live up to the 16 days before it. Can it possibly be as interesting as seeing stars such as Russell Howard, Jon Richardson, Gary Delaney, Johnny Vegas etc. at Marc Oliver's comedy chat show
Dancing About Architecture? Can it be as touchingly insightful yet hilarious as Francesca Martinez's touring show WTF Is Normal? Can it be as charmingly surreal as Joey Page at The Exchange? - incidentally he is an absolutely lovely man who put me on the guest-list for his show because I gave him directions.  Can it be as outrageous and spontaneous as An Ideal Night Out? And who can forget last night's Gagging For Attention? (Admittedly that one is more memorable for me Because I happened to be in it.) 
 
And, although Cultural Exchanges is just around the corner, we mustn't forget that the comedy festival is still in full swing. Tonight sees legendary punk poet John Cooper Clarke take to the stage, there are still two more Dancing About Architecture shows to go and the last show I'm going to see is Sean Walsh in Sean To Be Wild on Sunday night. My account of all the above events will be in the next issue of The Demon.

I'm particularly interested in seeing the interview with Geoff Rowe at Cultural Exchanges. He is the director and founder of the comedy festival and will be talking to the big man, VC Dominic Shellard. 

 
I am also reliably informed by DMU's Rob Brannen that Daniel Bye's show is well worth watching.
 
Hope to see you there.


Matt Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment