Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 28 February 2013

Experiments in sound

This evening I was presented with a unique experience, in the form of Sally Doughty and Craig Vear's Archipelago. I had never attended any kind of performance art before, so I really didn't know what to expect.

I was bewildered at first, confronted with strange mixtures of French sound clips and erratic, unnatural dancing. As the show went on, I became more engaged with the piece, often finding myself thinking about the nature of the sounds and visuals I was presented with, and what they may have represented.

At last I found myself really engaging with the performance. There were genuinely funny moments too - a fake beard, a monologue about drum solos, and clarinets all drew humour from a place I didn't know existed.

As a fascinating exploration of narrative form, and how audio and image can be manipulated, Archipelago has to be experienced to be understood.

Gabsy Davis-Marks

No comments:

Post a Comment