Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 22 February 2013

Sleep will have to wait

As part of my creative writing course I was instructed to sign up to at least 3 events at DMU during Cultural Exchanges week. I must admit, to begin with I was rather upset at being robbed of the prospect of spending the whole week in bed.

Nevertheless, I obediently looked in the leaflet we had been given and I realised I may be able to cope with a week out of bed after all. Alan Garner was coming to do a talk.

I will shamefully admit that I had never actually read one of his books, but several of the titles, such as The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Owl Service, were very familiar to me. As an aspiring fantasy author, the fact that he was so well known in the genre was enough for me, and I even dragged myself out of bed early to be sure I could secure my place as soon as the booking site opened. For a mere £3, the infinite wisdom of this man would be mine to behold.  I also ordered a copy of The Weirdstone of Brisingamen. I've started it, and it's truly a wonderful book - my excitement for the event is only increasing.

I will end my ramblings here, and recommend that you pick up one (or all) of his books, and if you're around the Leicester area next week with some money to spare, try and book yourself a place!

(If you are interested in booking this event or any others during Cultural Exchange week at DMU, click here)


S. J Miners

No comments:

Post a Comment