Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Friday 22 February 2013

One crazy week and a distressing suit

I dreamt of a week with no timetable when I could just sit back and be inspired by a range of speakers.  But all that inspiration must be interwoven with the very hectic schedule of rehearsing for another cultural exchanges, as I prepare to perform in De Montfort's collaboration with that other hub of Leicester culture, The Curve.

The play, Serious Money is written by Caryl Churchill and is set after the Big Bang of the 1980s. It's about money, money and more money and the effects it can and does have on folk. Oh, and it opens on Friday 1st March.

For me, Cultural Exchanges will be an exchange. An exchange of character, persona and definitely dress code, as my character wears a distressing suit (to say the least).

I will therefore mostly be mixing up my Manda Scott, author of the acclaimed Boudicca series, with 'A Bull on my Tongue' from the revered novelist, Alan Garner. I will be adding a dash of Etherington from Serious Money (in the distressing suits), a sprinkle of the author and screenwriter Andrew Davies, and to see in which way i am headed, several helpings of postgrad and undergraduate performance bubbles.

It will be one busy, exciting, crazy, scary, intriguing, inspiring week!


Michelle Haggerty-Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment