Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Monday 25 February 2013

The Meltdown Test

Relatively sceptical about going to a Cultural Exchanges event, I was pleasantly surprised at how wrong I was when I went to The Meltdown Test. 

It consisted of six comical sketches, each of which unravelled within 10 minutes or so, reflecting British life. It definitely lightened my crappy mood as I was able to relate to the sketches and just laugh at how silly the situations are that we find ourselves in, though in the moment we can't apprehend how little they matter.

My favourite sketch of the night was The Button by Lauren Bird. This had a young girl questioning if she was fat or skinny as she struggled to fit into some jeans. This in turn caused an argument between her and her boyfriend. The responses from the boyfriend, who was trying to tiptoe around the topic, and the insecurity in the girl's mind proved a realistic scenario and also a very comical one.

It was a brilliant night that I felt such a part of; the friendly and helpful staff/students definitely helped with that. 

I guess you should not judge before you have experienced! I now cannot wait for the other events this week.

 
Hannah Louise Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment