Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 26 February 2015

Memoirs of a Master Novelist

 My friends would tell you I'm a difficult figure to move, but I felt myself touched by the words of the dear friends and relations of Graham Joyce. The hour spent at the tribute event was an hour well spent. 

His wife spoke of his early career, moving both to Greece and into the literary world. I heard about the inspiring impact he had on many, including a student to whom he sent a poem of advice. A journalist close to him summarised some key moments in his literary career.

We also heard a recording of Graham Joyce himself reading from Some Kind of Fairytale and the event concluded with  oddly poignant parting words from the man himself, as read by DMU's own Niki Valentine.

 It was a fittingly creative requiem for a writer who managed to affect so many.



Matthew Budge

No comments:

Post a Comment