Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Monday 7 March 2011

Darker than vermilion?

When I signed myself up to witness the 60x60 concert on the final day of 2011's cultural eXchanges I had already guessed I was letting myself in for something spectacular; the rest of the week had been an absolute eye-opener and I had no doubt in my mind that this concert was going to give me plenty of food for thought too.

The first real indication that this event was already going to be different from what I'd anticipated was the layout of the hall; tiers of seats and hushed whispers, exactly what I’d expected. But I hadn't anticipated the two large speakers and apparent absence of musicians.

The electronic collection, consisting of sixty compositions of sixty seconds each, was performed in complete darkness (which made note-taking very interesting indeed) except for a clock face projected onto the front wall of the room.

The collection itself was very chilling, creating a definite sense of unease and disjointedness - the whole composition gave off a very 'Silent Hill' vibe in my opinion, which created a very extraordinary atmosphere which would be hard to replicate.

The collection we heard was ‘Vermillion’ – although perhaps they should consider renaming to a different, darker shade to fit the tone of the pieces.

For more informationc click HERE.



Samantha Inglis

No comments:

Post a Comment