Reviews and comment from the Demon Crew - creative writers at De Montfort University, Leicester.

Thursday 3 March 2011

Poetry: not just words on paper

I have never been too fond of poetry, but after an hour of listening to Maggie O'Sullivan and Sean Bonney, I suddenly wanted to write it.

It began with Sean Bonney and it was not what I expected at all. When he read his poetry, it was like he became a different person. He was sarcastic, angry and confident - as though the poetry controlled him and the atmosphere in the room. It was fascinating to witness.

I felt that Maggie O'Sullivan's poetry was quite complex. She used a lot of similar sounding words and the rhythm changed frequently - I have no idea how she managed to say it all so fluently.

Listening to these poets was a lot like listening to music or watching live musicians. You could see the artists' passion shine through when they read out their work.

I never knew that poetry could be so exciting - or inspirational.


Leonni Secondino

No comments:

Post a Comment